Scones always hit the spot on Sunday mornings, from now right through the holidays. Buttery and crumbly, soft and scrumptious, this gluten free version filled with fresh, tart cranberries and a hint of orange is perfect as a stand alone with tea or coffee or as an addition to a hearty brunch. Enjoy!
- 3 cups gluten free pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into quarter-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, one separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- Zest of one orange
- Preheat oven to 425F°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Drop in cubes of butter and mix until sandy consistency.
- In a medium bowl, mix one whole egg, one egg white, and buttermilk together with a fork.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
- Mix in cranberries and orange zest.
- Using two teaspoons, drop heaping mounds of batter onto the parchment lined cookie sheet, spacing them two inches apart.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining egg yolk and one teaspoon of water. Dip the tip of a pastry brush into the egg wash and lightly dab it on top of the shortcakes.
- Bake the scones for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.