Shortcake is a timeless addition to any Saturday morning. This crumbly biscuit pairs perfect with preserves or homemade lemon butter.
- 3 cups gluten free pastry flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into quarter-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, one separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425F°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Drop in cubes of butter and mix with hands until sandy consistency.
- In a medium bowl, mix one whole egg, one egg white, and buttermilk together with a fork.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
- Using two teaspoons, drop heaping mounds of batter onto the parchment lined cookie sheet, spacing them two inches apart.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining egg yolk and one teaspoon of water. Dip the tip of a pastry brush into the egg wash and lightly dab it on top of the shortcakes.
- Bake the shortcakes for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Mix all ingredients together until blended