Strawberry shortcake has been my favorite summer dessert for as long as I can remember. Crumbly shortcake, sweet strawberries, and fluffy homemade whipped cream all combine to make the most delectable treat. This classic dessert is always a summer favorite, add a gluten free twist and you are certain to please everyone!
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold, cut into 1/4 inch pats
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cold buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds strawberries
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, xanthan gum, and salt.
- Work in the cold butter till the mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla till frothy.
- Add wet mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring till well blended. The dough should be sticky.
- Drop dough into 1/3 cup mounds onto the baking sheet.
- Brush the scones with a simple egg wash (yoke of one egg mixed with two tablespoons of water).
- Bake for 20 minutes till golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- In a chilled large bowl beat whipping cream on medium until thick, approximately ten minutes.
- Hull, then cut strawberries in quarters.
- Slice shortcake and layer with strawberries and cream.